Archive for September, 2007|Monthly archive page
Just a quick note this evening: BeerRiot was down from about 3:30am to 8am this morning. The MySQL server shut down. I restarted it as soon as I found it down.
Interesting: The MySQL server shut down, but the ErlyDB connection to it was still alive and waiting. As soon as the MySQL server came back up, ErlyDB automatically reconnected, and the site was live.
Sounds like as good of a reason as any to consider switching to Mnesia. I have to assume it’s easier to monitor that than to watch/restart MySQL.
It’s called Vimagi. It’s a way to share drawings with friends. You paint something, using his app, then show it off to people. They can watch a replay of your painting, comment, and rate your work.
Interesting to note that he’s also using some Flash and AJAX, proving ErlyWeb compatible with those technologies.
Check it out – you may even find my own [poor] artwork there, if you’re clever. ;)
If you’re in the Boston area, and interested in Erlang/ErlyWeb, and free next Sunday … I’ll probably be hanging around Dev House Boston.
It’s my first trip to one of these hackathons. I’ve never been to Foo/BarCamp, or any of the others. So, we’ll see how it goes.
My best idea for a project so far is an Emacs mode for ErlTL. But, mainly I’d be interested in helping people come up to speed with Erlang/Erlyweb and/or Facebook app development. I think ErlyWeb’s a great platform for web development, and I’d like to see more people put it through its paces.
I’m also familiar with plenty of other languages/systems, so I feel pretty confident that I’ll be able to hack on whatever comes up.
I’ve finally prevented distraction long enough to finish an example use of the Erlang Facebook library I posted earlier.
If you grab the source from the erlang2facebook project, you’ll know find it comes with a bunch of stuff in an “erlprints” directory. The code in “erlprints” is a near literal translation of the “Footprints” app that comes with the standard Facebook PHP library.
It’s not perfect, and there are certainly places where more Erlang-ish style could have been used, but I hope it’s good enough to give people a clue to how to use the library.